Animals are in crisis and my life's mission is to do everything I can to alleviate their suffering, which to me means working towards their freedom. If you're here, maybe you feel the same way too (or maybe you're spying from an animal-use industry... in which case, welcome! I'd love to help you consider a new career.)
I'm a Vancouver-based animal rights lawyer, strategist, and activist. I specialize in issues relating to farmed animals, and the animal rights movement more broadly. I proudly serve as director of farmed animal advocacy for Animal Justice and as projects director for We Animals. I believe these two organizations do an excellent job of making animal use and abuse visible, and laying the groundwork for legal and political reform--factors I think are essential for our movement.
Here are a few places you can find me online:
- Please enjoy the most epic photos I could ever hope to be a part of, alongside four other female Canadian animal rights lawyers.
- You can read some of my thoughts on veganism, farmed animal law, and activism (and get my recipe for miso soup!) here.
- Check out my author archives on the Huffington Post and HuffPost Canada (some favourites: the slaughterhouse worker who became an animal liberation activist; the trial of a woman charged with giving water to a thirsty pig; & Canada's food guide shifts towards plant-based eating).
- I wrote in the Globe and Mail that we can't criticize dog meat festivals without considering our own eating habits; that our legal system should protect farmed animals; and that animal farming is a serious matter for ethical consideration, among other uncomfortable but important topics.
- As a mother I'm especially heartbroken about how our animal farming system destroys families; watch a video I narrated on the inherent sadness of dairy and read my perspective as part of the Mothers Against Dairy campaign.
- I enjoyed discussing and debating legal advocacy for animals with Steven Wise and Maneesha Deckha for the Animal Charity Evaluators.
- Learn why I'm vegan in this mini-doc from Kornelia Kulbacki.
- I've testified before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Animal Agriculture (see the highlights here and read the brief here) and Vancouver City Council (here).
- Do you think an Animal Charter of Rights and Freedoms sounds nuts? I don't, as I told a CTV News Magazine program.
- I've had some long, heady conversations, which I thoroughly enjoyed, on Terry Haig's show on Radio-Canada International.
- As animal rights lawyers, we use existing laws in creative ways; Toronto Star profiled some of that strategy.
- You can find a bunch of my legal work on the Animal Justice site here, and if you still have unanswered questions, there's always this.
Please get in touch if you'd like to work together!
some nice things people i admire said about me.
let's be friends on social media.