This is one of my absolute favourite things to eat: rich, hearty, healthy plant-based bolognese made subtly sweet and complex from a long, slow simmer. 🤤 Comfort food at its best! This sauce makes enough to generously smother over 1 lb of pasta.
- 1 to 2 tsp olive oil (for sauteing; if oil-free, use a splash of water or broth)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 head garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrot, ground in food processor (see pic below)
- 2 cups mushrooms (any kind), chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, ground in food processor (see pic below)
- 1.5 cups or 14 oz can brown or green lentils
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Heat large pot over medium heat. Add oil and onion and saute until soft.
- Add garlic, carrot, mushrooms, and zucchini and saute just until mushrooms have started to release their moisture and zucchini has started to soften.
- Add walnuts, lentils, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and salt. Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup water so that your sauce is thick but simmer-able. (You can't go wrong!)
- Simmer, covered, for at least ten minutes and ideally for about an hour to help develop the flavours and bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes.