Like most kids, my kids love flavoured milks. Sometimes we pick up a chocolate or vanilla soymilk for them (um, I'm not above a glass myself either) but usually I cringe from the sugar content. I'd rather they get their sweet fix from something like dates.
So, this morning Alister and I made a tester batch of vanilla soymilk. And then after he drank the whole thing, we made another bigger batch and wrote down the measurements, because it's that good. This is one we'll be making again and again. Hope you love it too!
- 1 heaping cup raw cashews
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (loosely packed)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender and let rest for 30 minutes (more if you don't have a high-powered blender) to soften the cashews and dates.
- Blend until silky smooth and store in the fridge!
- Separation is normal. Shake before use.
- Should keep for at least five days.
- If you'd like to fortify your milk so it really competes with the commercial stuff, you can also add in vitamin tablets (sometimes I put vitamins B12 and/or D in my homemade milks).